Is a tub overflow required on old work?

Old 09-24-00, 11:59 AM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

I plan to repipe my water supply and obtain a permit for the work. I removed some drywall to see what I was getting into and noticed there is nothing, no drain connected to the tubs overflow. I'd rather postpone jack hammering the slab at this time. I am guessing that the vent coming through the bottom plate 4ft away and joining the toilet vent is for the tub. Will I need to bite the bullet and do this now. BTW: City of Los Angeles bulding department.

Thanks in Advance
Phil H

Old 09-24-00, 12:17 PM
Visiting Guest
Normally the overflow drain and the main drain are the same drain. They are interconnected just below the tub. Are you sure you can't attach the overflow drain with a small effort?

Old 09-24-00, 02:05 PM
Visiting Guest
John,

I wish my problems were so simple. I have complete access (after removing drywall on short wall which frames the tub surround) to the plumbing end of the tub.The main drain is in or below the concrete slab. I see no way except to cut through the concrete and surrounding floor tile for access. With the way things are going, I'd break the cast iron drain somewhere inconvienient or I'd find more problems. I already have a lot more work than expected with some of the framing and electical which I did not expect. I'd rather wait until I have the time and money for a complete bath remodel. I can't wait much longer for a supply repipe. I've already had one hot water leak in the slab.

The only reason (aside from whomever plumbed this probably should not have) I can guess is that the house originally only had a shower. I don't know, I bought it last year.

I was wondering if the overflow connection is required. And for an inspection of a supply repipe, this would typically need to be rectified.
Thanks,
Phil

[This message has been edited by Phil H (edited September 24, 2000).]

Old 09-24-00, 05:00 PM
Visiting Guest
Bathtubs are not required to be designed with an overflow. However if it is made to have one, you will be required to install the overflow.
However I'm not familiar with Los Angeles' ways of handling things.
Sounds to me like you will need to break a little concrete. rent an electric jack hammer and go easy.

Old 09-24-00, 09:28 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks John and John

Unless someone comes up with a brighter idea, I think I'll go down to the building dept. and tell them I'd like to repipe but I have discovered other problems and see what they say I need to do. I was just thinking of fixing all the problems before or after being inspected. The list is getting long: broken vent pipes, wire splices exposed in the walls, light fixtures without junction boxes, a window moved and framed wrong etc. etc. etc.

A number of friends told me not to even bother with a permit. After buying this place, I wish there was a more effective way to prevent people from going ahead and doing shoddy work without inspection. Drywall mud can sure hide a lot of sins.

Phil H

[This message has been edited by Phil H (edited September 25, 2000).]

Old 09-24-00, 09:36 PM
Visiting Guest
Wink

Amen Phil,
I would guess 70% of my repair work would not be needed if someone had done it right in the first place. Hang in there.
Best of luck to you
plumber john

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: