Question about gas shut-off valve location.

Old 08-24-04, 11:26 AM
951Tom
Visiting Guest
Question about gas shut-off valve location.

Is it ok to have the kitchen stove's gas shut-off valve in the basement ceiling...then run flexible gas line up thru the floor and into the stove? Basement ceiling is unfinished so easy access everywhere. I'm doing a kitchen re-model & adding some new floor cabinets. The current gas pipe (black iron) comes up out of the floor in a spot that won't allow the new cabinets to fit properly. Thank you very much.

Tom

Old 08-24-04, 01:30 PM
LazyPup
Visiting Guest
Placing the shutoff in the basement and passing a flex connector through the floor is prohibited by code.

The Flex line is defined by code as a "connector"
(Ref: International Plumbing Code -IRC & Uniform Plumbing Code - UPC)

Connectors may not be concealed or pass through any floor, wall partition (Ceiling) or appliance houseing (IRC 2422.1.2) (UPC 1212.0x2)

Required location immediately after the shut off valve (2422.1.2 IRC & 1212.0x3 UPC)

minimum diameter must equal inlet of appliance (2422.1.2 IRC & 1212.0 UPC)

By code the shutoff must be in the same room as the appliance it serves.

NOTE: in some jurisdictions flexible connectors are not permitted.

Old 08-24-04, 04:49 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Even as Lazy Pup said, if it were not against code....would you want to have to run to the basement if there was a break in the line or a fire behind the stove? Easy or convienient are not always safe.

Old 08-24-04, 05:20 PM
951Tom
Visiting Guest
Thank you very much for replying. I want to do it per code so I will run black iron up thru the floor, then install the shut-off valve. It makes me wonder though, if the stove were on fire, you'd never be able to pull it out and get behind it to reach the valve. If the valve were down the basement, you'd be able to run down-stairs and turn it off.

Tom

Old 08-24-04, 05:30 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I had that same feeling when I did mine. The cure isn't pretty, but I ran the pipe off to the side of the range (about 2 ft) and under the countertop across the back wall. The shut-off valve is accessable from a cabinet door away from the range. It isn't visible from outside the cabinets.

Old 08-25-04, 09:00 PM
LazyPup
Visiting Guest
The intent of the code is to provide a service disconnect at the appliance so it can be removed for maintenance or shut it off in the event of a leak, in the case of a gas fire in a structure smart money runs, dont walk to the nearest phone and get the firefighter pros headed your way. Three or four minutes messing around trying to fight a fire can make the difference of whether they can save your structure or prevent your fire from speading as eveyone watches your house go up in smoke.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: