Shower/Bath Faucet will not loosen

Old 05-16-00, 03:04 AM
Visiting Guest
Angry

I have a leaky single lever Delta faucet for my shower/bath. I bought a rebuild kit. I have started to take the faucet apart but the dome shaped cap will not loosen. When I try to turn it I can budge it but it seems that I am just bending the pipe behind it. Am I doing this correctly? Any tips?
Thanks

Old 05-16-00, 03:29 AM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Have you looked for a set screw on the underside? Both of my shower/bath faucets are Delta single handle, and I take them off with an Allen wrench. Then unscrew the ring and everything comes right out to replace. Good Luck!

Old 05-16-00, 06:45 AM
Visiting Guest
I too have a Delta faucet and did what Oldguy said. Used an allen wrench and it came right off.

Old 09-17-00, 05:43 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

Same problem here. Chrome dome cap will not loosen. Looked for set screw; nothing on cap and nothing on the completely loose 2" long chrome ring just behind the cap. If I torque any harder, I'm going to hear a sickening "crack!"
please help.

Old 09-26-00, 08:23 PM
Visiting Guest
have a similar problem, but can't get it loose with the allen wrench, just won't break loose, any ideas?

Old 09-26-00, 10:32 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Put the little red plastic "nozzle" in the sprayer of a can of WD-40, and soak the threads. Make sure that you are using the exact size Allen wrench, that it is well seated, and that you're trying to turn it out counter-clockwise as you look at from underneath handle.
Sometimes I use a pair of pliers or channel locks for leverage on the short end of the Allen wrench for torque. Those little rascals can be difficult to budge, if they are really corroded, but they WILL come out. Good Luck!

Old 09-27-00, 05:01 AM
Visiting Guest
What some of you are having trouble with on this faucet is not getting the handle off but removing the dome shaped cap after the handle is off. Deltas are bad about this, if you continue to force it chances are better than 50-50 that you will damage the faucet. This is the time to be patient and gentle!
If its a newer style dome you will see wrench lugs on the top, use a socket type wrench (valve stem sockets)on this and it should come off fairly easy.The old style will not have any wrench lugs. One way is to try a strap wrench and gently work it until it comes loose, or use a channel lock pliers or pipe wrench if more force is needed, GENTLY tap on the handle of the pipe wrench with a hammer, reposition the wrench frequently and in a little while it should suddenly pop loose. If you scar the chrome you can buy a new cap for this.lubricate the threads before reinstalling this.

On the handles, if oldguys suggestions dont work you will have to drill out the allan screw and replace the handle.
Good Luck-plumber john

[This message has been edited by plumber john (edited September 27, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by plumber john (edited September 27, 2000).]

Old 05-28-07, 07:07 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Dome cap still won't come off.

Mine is the old style and I have tried the WD40 and also "Liquid Wrench", tapping it, but it still won't come off. Is there anything else that can be done to loosen the dome cap? Thank you.

Old 05-29-07, 01:14 PM
C
CSG
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wow..you added on to an old post . Congrats for finding the graveyard

Anyways..try tightening it first...just till it turns a tiny bit...then loosen it. Should come off.

ALSO...very important which wasn't mentioned in this thread..make sure water is off and you let pressure out from faucet. The pressure helps hold the dome cap on. With full pressure you won't get it off usually.

try both of these then report back.

Old 05-29-07, 04:48 PM
W
Received 13 Upvotes on 11 Posts
hi, BE CAREFULL!!!! DON'T GO ARMSTRONG ON THIS OR YOU WILL REALY REGRET IT. In the center of the dome is a plastic ring loosen or remove it then try gently to remove the dome if idoesn't move put some heat to the dome I have used a torch and a heat gun, both worked well. A hair dryer might work. It doesn't take much heat to do this. When you reassemble the valve put Plumbers heat proof grease on the threads then tighten by hand then set it with the plastic ring.
I have put these valves in a vice and couldn't remove the dome with out heat. Again go easy you can crack the pipes or bend the dome out of round.
How do I know this? I screwed up a couple of them in my time.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: