Toilet troubles!

Old 09-27-00, 01:44 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I just bought my first home...built in 1928. All was well for the first few weeks but now every day something new is going wrong! Our biggest problem...
When we flush the toilet the open drain pipe in the basement by the washing machine shoots water straight up in the air! We have sealed the pipe off temporarily to stop the flooding, is this something we can fix ourselves or do we need to have a professional come out and snake? Please help!

Old 09-27-00, 03:57 PM
Visiting Guest
Yes you can rent a snake, but sometimes it can be a bear to clean lines, if you feel up to it, then go for it, if not then call a drain cleaning company.

Best Regards Plumber2000
www.atozplumbing.com

Old 09-27-00, 08:31 PM
Visiting Guest
I'd tell you to call a drain cleaning company because this is not the kind of thing you're likely to do on a regular basis. (If you can do the routine maintenance yourself, you'll save the lion's share of the cost of maintaining your house with the least headaches. Leave the infrequent stuff that requires special tools and knowledge to someone with those at his disposal.)

The more I hear Roto Rooter's jingle on the radio the more they charge to clear my drain. Just because they charge twice as much doesn't mean the drain is twice as clear. Roto Rooter hires plumbers straight out of trade school because they're willing to work for an entry level wage. It doesn't take a plumber working for Roto Rooter too long to realize that if he bought his own machine he could charge you half as much for the job and still take home twice what he's making working for them.

Phone around to some of the guys with smaller ads in the yellow pages. You're likely to get the owner of the company coming out to clear your drain, he'll bring all his experience with him, and it'll likely cost half of what you'd otherwise pay the companies with the full page ads.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: