water pressure

Old 09-28-00, 09:19 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Hi,

Noticed that the water pressure at the neighbors home is so strong it splashes you at the sink.

Ours seems like a tricke compared to the neighbors.

Checked the main faucet handle and it is fully open.

All faucets in the home are clear, all screens clean. And all run the same way.

Any ideas ??

Old 09-28-00, 10:34 PM
Visiting Guest
TONY:

That's certainly a perplexing problem, but here's one possible cause:

In Winnipeg where I live the city water pressure hovers around 40 PSI, but Winnipeg is flat as a pancake. However, I understand in some US cities, especially those with hills higher than 2 or 300 feet, the water pressure at the city mains is typically 100 psi or higher to force the water up to the houses on the hill. Because this would burst your hot water tank, the houses lower down the hill have pressure reducing valves to lower the pressure down to 20 to 30 psi or so. Apparantly these pressure reducing valves are adustable, and it could be that yours (if you have one) is adjusted wrong.

The maximum pressure my heating boiler is rated to is 30 psi. As the water feed line to my boiler is at about 40 psi, I have a similar pressure reducing valve in my boiler room. I know that there's a filtration screen in the bottom of this valve and that this screen gets clogged up periodically. I would find out if you have a pressure reducing valve and if so, how to adjust it and how to clean the filtration screen in it if it has one.

Old 09-29-00, 06:35 AM
Visiting Guest
Do you have a Pressure Reducing Valve on your input line? Look somewhere near your main house shutoff. You're looking for a big brass bump in the line with a screw on it. This may be worn out, or clogged, or simply misadjusted. If you find one, try turning the screw "in" (i.e., clockwise). Don't set your pressure too high, or you'll prematurely wear out all your faucets.

Come back and let us know.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: