Copper VS Plastic

Old 10-01-00, 08:12 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

Husband wants to know what the big difference is between using copper and plastic pvc or cpvc? Other than the cost-which do you recommend for our custom shower-3'x5' with the body sprays and one hand held shower? I say water temp may stay constant-in copper (which is what is used in the bath now), he says..no difference...can't understand why one would be preferred over the other....You can settle this debate!
Thanks for your help....

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-00, 09:09 AM
Visiting Guest
Gram2Twinz:

I realize that this perhaps isn't the kind of answer you may have been expecting, but just about a week ago there was a guy wanting to know what he should do about the PVC water supply line that came into his house because he had heard that there was some health concerns with PVC piping. This was the second time I had heard about this, and the first time someone replied saying it was only a concern if you have certain kinds of minerals in well water and you run that water through the pipe.

I have no reason to believe there are any health concerns with PVC pipe in city treated water, but I didn't have any reason to believe that lead solder joints were a concern in copper pipe. I would say to just play it safe and use copper with silver solder joints.

Old 10-01-00, 10:59 AM
Visiting Guest
There is basically no difference. However always remember that with copper you have to solder the joints, and that means a hot flame, and you need to put up a shield so you don't start a fire. Now, personally, I do not use either. I use PEX. Now I have thrown a curve at you.

Old 10-01-00, 07:51 PM
Visiting Guest
Check with your local bldg. dept. before you do anything. PVC and/or CPVC may not be a legal option for you to use. The PEX that Jack mentioned (if it's what I think he's talking about) is fine, but has to be installed by a licensed plumber who has the proper certificate (which means he's gone to a class on it).