Washer Machine Drain

Old 09-28-00, 06:51 PM
Visiting Guest
Angry

I'm having problems with my washer machine draining. On the drain cycle, the water back up and leaks on the floor and down to the basement. I know this is probably a common problem... but since I just moved into a house, this is all new to me. Can you help?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-00, 08:24 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile

The first thing to do is to auger the drain line, Go to your local home center and get a sink drain spinner. work this in and out of the washer drain stand pipe several times. Or a cleanout in the pipe if you have one.
Do you have a new washing machine? The newer models usually have a more powerful discharge pump and empty water faster than the old ones. So some drains that used to be ok are now backing up. If this is the case you have two options, enlarge the washer drain to 2" pipe and then enlarge it again to a 3" line when another fixture is tied in to this branch. Or set a laundry sink next to the washer and discharge the washer drain into the sink.

Old 10-02-00, 03:32 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile

Well Thanks...I think it worked. I had to go on the roof and do it from the vent pipes!