re-attch toilet tank

Old 10-13-00, 04:51 PM
Visiting Guest
I installed a new flush valve, no problem. In replacing the toilet tank I put on wing nuts instead of nuts and new washers for inside the tank. There are three bolts and some of them are leaking. When I tighten one another seems to leak. In the instructions it warns of over tightening the bolts for fear of cracking tank. Ques.:1. How tight should I go. 2.are wing nuts ok 3. Can I eyeball the level aspect for this job.

Old 10-13-00, 05:11 PM
Visiting Guest
1. They should be tightened evenly and you should not be able to wiggle the tank much, Do you have the gasket under the head of the tank bolt inside the tank? You should be able to keep tightening the tank as long as it continues to snug down against the bowl, trouble comes when it is completely bottomed out and you continue to force it.

2,Yes they are ok, I wouldn't change them at this point but I prefer nuts.

3.Yes you can, If your satisfied then its fine, If you want to get it perfect use a small (torpedo) level on the top of the tank as you tighten it down.
Happy Plumbing-
plumber john

One last thought, on these three bolt critters, if you dont tighten the bolts evenly, it may look like its not going to leak when you test it, but when you lean against the tank when its in use, the back bolt will loosen up and it leaks, Then when you check it again it seems fine because everything is sprung back into place, This is guaranteed to drive you nuts until you figure it out, not to mention ruin your weekend by having your head under a toilet all Saturday.

[This message has been edited by jjohnson@nckcn.com (edited October 13, 2000).]

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: