venting drains

Old 10-14-00, 09:57 AM
Visiting Guest
I'm in process of replumbing basement bathroom: toilet, shower, vanity and utility tub. I've been looking at many books and all these books show the drains being vented individually and then tieing into the main vent in the attic. None of the drains in my home are vented this way. I haven't had a problem with sewer gas smell either. I've also read that if the drains are within a certain number of feet from the main stack that they don't need to be vented. Can someone attempt to clarify this for me and maybe even explain the difference between wet vent and revent. One other question, the utility tub is going to be about 2 feet from main line should I go into the floor and connect under concrete or go straight into main stack after drain trap. Maybe it doesn't even make a difference. Thanks in advance, Marcus

Old 10-14-00, 01:25 PM
Visiting Guest
You need to ask all these questions of your local building department. Everything you say is true, but not in all locations and not in all years. You may qualify for grandfathering if the rough-in met code when it was installed.

Some locations allow wet vents (i.e., venting through a portion of the same pipe serving as a drain for another fixture), some don't.

Revent is simply an additional vent line that connects a branch pipe with the main stack, at some point above the fixtures using this stack. It's usually the alternative to wet venting in areas where wet venting is disallowed or restricted.

I'd drain the utility tub into the main stack, and not mess with the floor. In fact, this may be required. Again, check with your building department. Give them a sketch of the alternatives you are considering, complete with detailed measurements, and they'll tell which ones meet code.

I should qualify all this by stating that I am not a plumber.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: