Need faucet help!!

Old 10-14-00, 07:59 AM
Visiting Guest
Exclamation

Hi. I have a fourplex and each unit has a knob on the bathroom wall that shuts the water off to the swamp cooler on the roof. It looks like it would be a shower knob. It's leaking from the seat inside. I pulled off the outter knob and see a long stem (white) and I see a nut facing out that looks like it can be tightened. I am trying to determine which brand it is so I can get parts to fix the leak. Two units are leaking.
Inside the knob there are two letter and a number. P-P and a longer number. I can't pull it out because I have to shut the whole building water supply down. Any help would be appreciated!

Old 10-14-00, 08:07 AM
Visiting Guest
It could be Price Pister, but I'm not sure of this, there are so many types of valves out there it could be a number of them, I'd take the stem out and take it with you to Home Depot and see if they can match it up with something.

Best Regards Plumber2000
www.atozplumbing.com

[This message has been edited by Plumber2000 (edited October 14, 2000).]

Old 10-14-00, 01:22 PM
Visiting Guest
The "nut facing out" sounds like the packing nut. Try giving a short turn clockwise. Don't crank on it too hard, though. It it needs tightening, it'll turn fairly easily. The packing nut is directly behind the white part you mentioned. In fact, the white part (plastic) screws into the packing nut.

And yes, odds are it's a Price Phister.
John

Old 10-16-00, 05:44 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the quick replies. I did tighten the packing nut very gently and that seemed to do the trick!! Thanks for your help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: