my bathtub handles are stripped

Old 10-29-00, 12:06 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

MY BATHTUB HANDLES(TO TURN WATER ON ) ARE STRIPPED. THE KNOBS JUST GO ROUND AND ROUND BUT DOES'NT TURN THE WATER ON. I WAS ABLE TO USE A PHILLIPS SCREW DRIVER TO TURN SCREW THAT HOLDS THE HANDLE ON-THIS WOULD ALSO TURN THE WATER ON-BUT KNOW THAT SCREW IS STRIPPED AND I CAN'T GET THE HANDLE OFF TO REPLACE-NOR DO I KNOW HOW TO REPLACE IT-ANY SUGGESTIONS??

Old 10-29-00, 02:27 PM
Visiting Guest
Mother, you need to know how tub valves are designed. The handle end of the stem is splined. The inside of the handle has mating splines. The phillips head screw is there to keep the handle tight to the stem. Your problem is that either the splines in the handle or the splines on the stem are stripped (or both). Remove the screw, pull the handle off, and look at the splines. Whichever (handle or stem, or both) are stripped, that (or those) parts need to be replaced. Get back to us and let us know what you find, and we can walk you through the replacement.

Old 10-29-00, 05:48 PM
Visiting Guest
Talking

I WAS ABLE TO GET THE SCREW MOST OF THE WAY OFF WITH A WRENCH-THEN I USED PLIERS TO GET
THE SCREW THE REST OF THE WAY OFF. I HAD A REPLACEMENT HANDLE(UNIVERSAL) I FOUND ANOTHER SCREW THE SAME DIAMETER AND LENGTH AND FOLLOWED THE DIAGRAM ON THE REPLACEMENT HANDLE. I PUT THE NEW HANDLE ON-AND IT WORKS GREAT! MY HUSBAND WENT GOLFING AND WHEN HE CAME HOME DINNER WAS MADE AND THE FAUCET HANDLE WAS FIXED-HE WAS AMAZED!!!
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP
I'M A MOTHER, NOT A PLUMBE

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: