Rough-in for shop/guest room

Old 09-27-04, 09:33 AM
BMostellar
Visiting Guest
Rough-in for shop/guest room

I've got the water supply to the side of the house (Supply to Shop), so I'm ready to dig the footers for the foundation walls. It will be a crawl space with cement blocks.

I'm planning to stub the shop for a shower, sink, and toilet in case I sell the house - market it as an exercise / guest room.

I'm on a septic system that is down the hill (40 lateral, 15 vertical) feet. What recommendations / considerations do you have for me? Everything from type of pipe to problems to avoid.

TIA,
Bill

Old 09-27-04, 03:49 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Suggestion only

BMostellar, your first step would be to check with your inspector on the materials required by code for your area. The type of pipe will be governed by the plumbing code in which you fall under. Sounds like your concern will be running the fourty two feet of building sewer down the hill. Thats a pretty steep drop over the distance you described, somewhere around 5 1/8" per ft. (That is, if this is a continuos slope from a to b.)Your concern over this distance is that the water tends to outrun the waste, leaving concern for waste to sit long enough to adhere to the pipe and eventually build up causing blockage. I'm not sure how I would aproach this without seeing the lay of the land but certainly something that needs to be takin into consideration. I live in the desert, if I change elevations more then fifteen feet I,m taking off in my plane. So maybe others here will post back with suggestions on how to overcome this concern. Good Luck

Old 09-28-04, 06:02 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
A steep drop will not cause you problems, there are many houses here where I live on hillsides, and there is no problems in these drain lines.

Use Schd 40 dwv pipe ABS or PVC will work, don't forget to install a two-way clean out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: