Clean Out

Old 09-27-04, 06:14 PM
kwryan
Visiting Guest
Clean Out

I am looking for help in removing the 3" clean out(Brass) from the main drain of my house. It obviously has never been removed. Looking for tips or tricks that can assist.
Thanks

Old 09-27-04, 09:03 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Since I do drain cleaning in my business I don't even try to fight these because they will not come out. I take a sawzall and cut the nub off of the cleanout that is used to wrench the cap out,,,,which will expose an opening in the center. Then, take the sawzall and cut upwards to the 11 and 1 o'clock position, just barely nudging the threads at the edge of the cap. This will open a wedge in the cap. From there....take a chisel and pry the piece you just cut....make sure you don't lose it in the pipe, then pry the rest of the cap out with a crowbar or the claws of a hammer. You may or may not be able to reuse the threads in the cast fitting; most times they are deteriorated and will not seal with a new cap...so use a twist-in cap. If you have to clean your sewer line......chances are you will clean it again.....and twist-in caps work well to gain access to the main line.

Old 01-19-07, 11:17 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
After looking for tips on this site, I opened mine. They were not easy to undo!!! I soaked the threads for a few days with PB Blaster, then used a 4-foot pipe wrench and a sledge hammer to get them loose. I think this is more elegant than cutting, and the cap and all threads are reusable.

I also mention this to let people know that you can DIY. But I can understand why a plumber wouldn't bother to go through these steps, or even a homeowner, as not everybody has access to a 4-foot pipe wrench.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: