Damaged Pipe?

Old 11-16-00, 08:49 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I had a plumber out to just fix a leak and he says that the pipe connected to the toliet has been jabbed at by a cable of some sort and it needs replaced. Does a scraped pipe by a company such as Roto Rooter need to be replaced or can the ring just be replaced.
He wants $325 for the job.
Is that reasonable? I am new to this stuff.
Thanks.

Old 11-16-00, 07:14 PM
Visiting Guest
It seems as though we're discussing the toilet waste line. If the rooter guy badly damaged it or the toilet flange (The top part of the pipe that the toilet sits on [with a wax seal ring], I think it might need repair or replacement if:
1.There is leakage of water and/or sewer gas NOT coming from a bad wax seal ring. This would most likely be below floor level. If it's the wax seal ring, and the flange is sound, that's good: cheaper repair.
2.The pipe may be so roughened inside that solids catch or build up inside it and cause a blockage, (could cause toilet overflow.)
These are the reasons I can think of right now that a plumber would suggest replacement on a drain line.
On the cost: Plumbers are almost always worth it, I mean really, what a wonderful thing is a toilet that works. I'm NOT a plumber, I just live in an old house with lots of old pipes in it. I think most plumbers work hard and earn thier money.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: