adding a drain for washer

Old 10-13-04, 10:21 AM
ducati1212
Visiting Guest
adding a drain for washer

please excuse my lack of plumbing terminology

I want to add a washer in my basement. I have one cast iron "stack drain" system with waste exiting to the street. the drain is about 4 feet off my basement floor. I have 1 upstairs bathroom and my kitchen sink dumping into it. No room left to add another drain so what I was going to do is un screw the "clean out" and add a foot of pipe with a Y on it and drain into that then have my "clean out" on the end of that. if I explained that well enough for someone to decipher is that a reasonable way to add a small washer machine drain.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-04, 10:41 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Do you have a floor drain in your basement? If so, that is where you want to run a drainline for the washer to. If you use the clean-out as a drain, you still have to have a trap installed(to prevent sewer gases from coming into the house). Your local Plumbing code may also prohibit doing this.You didn't say how far off the floor the clean-out was but if it is also at 4 foot then your washer will be having to pump up to the drain and this will shorten the pump life. Overall, not a good idea. Good luck.

Old 10-13-04, 10:47 AM
ducati1212
Visiting Guest
thanks for the reply. My clean out is a good 4 feet off the floor. I have no floor drains. the washer will have to pump up about 2 1/2 - 3 feet. I know it is not ideal but I have no option except to spend lots of money altering my basement just to install a washer

thank you

Old 10-13-04, 11:08 AM
I understand completely and there are times "when a man has to do, what a man has to do". We here at DIY just give you opinions and options. What you ultimately do is entirely up to you. Good luck.

Old 10-13-04, 11:10 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Here is another alternative:
www.saniflo.com
Good luck!
Mike