tailpipe washer

Old 10-18-04, 04:07 PM
skioff
Visiting Guest
tailpipe washer

anyone have a trick to putting on a poly tailpipe washer?. are you suppose to heat them up before putting them on?

very tight fit.

Old 10-18-04, 05:26 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
There are no tricks to sliding a poly washer onto the tailpiece. They do fit snug. If your having trouble, some things to check are burrs on the tailpiece, or even the washer. The tailpiece could be out of round. A small amount of dish soap might help. Under no circumstances heat the washer. It will never seal. Also check to make sure your tailpiece and your washer are the same size.11/2 and 11/4 are not that different UNTIL you try to put one on the other.
Good luck and post back

Old 10-18-04, 08:34 PM
skioff
Visiting Guest
Well I tried every thing short of deburing the outside rim of the tailpipe. Broke one washer trying to get it on.

I ended up just place the washer in boiling water for a few seconds. That gave it a little stretch and it fit snug on the tailpipe. It cooled down on the tailpipe so it was still a very tight fit. Tightened everything down and it passed the stress test.

Package was labeled 1 1/2.

I have only owned my first house for a week so i guess i will be learning as I go.

thanks for the help

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: