Leaky 3/4 Ball Valve

Old 10-18-04, 06:10 PM
IndyHomeGuy
Visiting Guest
Question Leaky 3/4 Ball Valve

To those who are wiser-

While installing my new water softener that was badly needed (hardness 20.3!! on city water) I assembled everything and sweat all of the pipes just fine until it came time to join them to an existing three valve bypass already roughed in at my new house. When sweating into the ball valve, everything went to plan taking extra precautions not to overheat, but when I turn the main back on, there is a pinhole leak in the actual valve itself, not in any of the sweated joints. It leaks at an absurdly slow rate, but enough to concern me, or should it? The drops form just below the handle and bead out from there. My questions...
1) Did I still somehow overheat this?
2) Is there a fix that doesn't involve removing the already sweated joints and putting in a replacement valve?

Thanks a million-

Last edited by IndyHomeGuy; 10-18-04 at 06:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-04, 06:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Leak

Indyhomeguy, New house? Have these valves ever been in service prior to your installation? Its not uncommon to find pin holes (sand holes ) in new wrought brass fittings. Hardness of 20.3? hard believe water that thick could fit through such a hole. Donít panic, sounds like you did fantastic on the rest of the system, if the drip does not stop in a day on its own then there is no reason you can not replace the valve yourself. If you need advice on that post back. No simple fix if it is in the valve itself.

Old 10-19-04, 04:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Look under where the handle attaches. Some ball valves have a packing nut that you can tighten by removing the handle and turning clockwise. Or, could be a casting pin hole as wrmiii said. Good luck.

Old 10-19-04, 06:19 AM
IndyHomeGuy
Visiting Guest
Thanks!!!

It is a new home that I'm in, and so far I'm incredibly impressed with everything, which is why I found this odd. But like you said, I'm amazed water can even flow out of that hole! Anyways, thanks for the advice from everyone, I really appreciate it. I tried to tighten down the seal with the nut on top of the handle but only slowed the rate. I ended up shutting down, disassembling, and replacing the valve. Better than the day I moved in! Thanks again for your help and encouragement guys-

-Kyle