Gas Line for Gas Range


Old 10-19-04, 11:01 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Exclamation Gas Line for Gas Range

I am about to buy a new gas range to replace the old electric one. Can anyone help with describing what I need to do to plumb from the gas line in the house (from the heater) to the spot where I'm going to put the stove? I have experience with copper plumbing for water. (I know gas threads are backward)

My basic questions are-

1. What size/type of pipe should I use? (diameter?, threaded or flexible?)

2. Will I need a regulator between the gas line in the house and the new range?

3. Provided I turn the shut off valve off in the house, are there any other special considerations that I should be aware of?

Thanks a bunch,
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-04, 11:36 AM
Rainbird's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: California
Posts: 373
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
First of all you should check the local building codes regarding the type of pipe that they approve for gas lines. I prefer to use 3/4" black iron gas pipe for the main run with 1/2" reduction to the appliances. Some local codes permit the use flexible copper lines with flare connections. The new gas lines need to be "pressure tested" and inspected. You will require a permit from the local building department to do this work. If you are not comfortable working with gas I would suggest contracting this work out.
Old 10-20-04, 04:16 AM
majakdragon's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: N.E. Arkansas
Posts: 7,827
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rainbird is correct however I had to comment on the " I know gas threads are backwards" thing. Acetelene tank hookup threads are left handed but house gas line threads are typical right hand. Would have hated to see you trying to screw all your fittings in backwards. Good luck.
Old 10-20-04, 05:47 AM
notuboo's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Kansas City MO
Posts: 1,780
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I applaud your effort to try to save some money by doing what you can yourself.

You have me concerned by your limited knowledge of plumbing and wanting to do gas work.

That said, you will need a permit. Some parts of the country allow home owners to do this and other areas do not. Gas has a tremendous liabilty issue for everyone involved because of fires and explosions.

You really can not just tie into an existing gas line going to an appliance. If this is an original installation of a gas line, it has been sized for that appliance. Also, I have seen many people just take the sediment traps out of gas lines and start a new run there. This is bad for several reasons.

I would get a couple of estimates from local plumbers, first, to see what the actual cost would be.

Sorry to rain on your parade.
Old 10-20-04, 11:37 PM
rav12's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: California
Posts: 668
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The correct way to do this is to do a proper system gas flow calculation. This should involve calculating the pressure at each appliance at max gas draw while all the appliances are running. So the new line should not only be sized to meet the draw of the range but should not cause the pressure at any of the other appliaces to drop below the min threshold (typically around 5"WC for NG). It can be hard to do this with an existing house but one can have a pretty good guess based on the layout of the appliances and the existing pipe sizes.

If you get someone to do this, make sure they show you their calculations on pipe sizing (either from the tables or formula).

If you do it your self, exercise caution and I would suggest buying yourself an electronic gas detector. I find them much better at picking up trace leaks than the fluid.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: