Question re. new icemaker line install

Old 10-21-04, 12:37 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question re. new icemaker line install

I just moved in to our home and it does not have a water line supplying the refrigerator for ice making capabilities. The nearest line is across the kitchen and would require some demo work to tie into that line and run it overhead in the attic (have a slab foundation).

After some investigating, I have determined the most feasible way would be to tap into the capped vent line of the water supply on the water heater, run it vertical into the attic space about 7 ft., run another vent in the attic and tee off of that and go horizontal along the attic floor about 20 ft. and drop down behind the wall the refrigerator backs up to.

Does this make sense? I initially was considering using heavy wall copper lines (with insulation) and putting the elbows in the attic, but have since considered using PEX instead. Are the tools used to crimp PEX readily available and inexpensive? Would I still need the vent in the attic if using PEX? If so, how? Any thoughts or opinions are greatly appreciated!

- Keith

Old 10-21-04, 04:13 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Water lines do not have vents; do not know what you mean by that.

What I would do is cut in a tee on cold water line, then install a compression stop with 1/4" connection for ice maker line, run the 1/4" line thou the attic then down to fridge.

Doing it this why, eliminates have to pipe to fridge using pex.

Pex tool will run you about $125.

Old 10-21-04, 06:52 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If what you are calling a vent is a dead end line off the top of your heater DO NOT tap into it there. That is a home made water hammer preventer and if you go there, then any air will go to your ice maker.If the closest cold water line is at the water heater then tap into the horizontal line as Plumber 2000 stated.

Old 10-22-04, 06:26 AM
Yes, the line I was referring to was one of the dead end capped lines (on the supply side) off the top of the water heater. Is it not possible/suitable to tap into that line and then run the dead end capped line in the attic?

Originally Posted by majakdragon
If what you are calling a vent is a dead end line off the top of your heater DO NOT tap into it there. That is a home made water hammer preventer and if you go there, then any air will go to your ice maker.If the closest cold water line is at the water heater then tap into the horizontal line as Plumber 2000 stated.

Old 10-22-04, 06:36 AM
As stated in previous post, that dead end line has air in it and prevents water hammer (a loud banging when water is turned off at a faucet). Can you not tap into the supply line just past or just before this dead end line? Running it up in the attic is just a lot more work and piping.

Old 10-22-04, 06:46 AM
The least amount of piping is obviously one of my objectives. Your point is well taken - the only problem I foresee is availability to the supply pipe in the closet...it's a pretty tight fit. Thanks for both of you guys' input, you confirmed my thoughts - now on to the project!

Old 10-22-04, 07:47 AM
Wink

the only problem I foresee is availability to the supply pipe in the closet...it's a pretty tight fit.
Could you just put a saddle valve on it. Water line in the attic make sure it cant freeze if your up where it gets cold

ED

Old 10-22-04, 02:04 PM
Thanks for the reply Ed, I'm not sure I'm familiar with a saddle valve? I do plan on insulating the line in the attic. Here in Oklahoma it can get pretty cold in the winter and I want to eliminate as much as possible the risk of leaks for a pipe running overhead!

Old 10-22-04, 04:55 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I'd not even think of using a saddle valve, there prone to leak not to mention there not code approved.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: