Old Cardboard Pipe Crushed by Tree & Type of replacement pipe

Old 10-29-04, 11:25 AM
Bengalfan420
Visiting Guest
Old Cardboard Pipe Crushed by Tree.

I have a home built in 1964 which I thought was really not that old. However the sewer line back then was made of oiled cardboard. I am digging the line up myself and am going to run PVC pipe from the house to near the sidewalk past the crushed pipe. What do I need to do to connect the old pipe to the PVC? Also the line makes a 45 degree angle down the line. Will I need to do anything special to make this or can I cut the pipe and put a connecting head on there? Thank you for the help!

Old 10-29-04, 11:35 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
OILED CARDBOARD????? Never heard or seen it. I will have to watch this post closely to learn something new. I started my apprenticeship in 1970 and never ran across this type of drain pipe.

Old 10-29-04, 01:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Never seen or heard of "oiled cardboard" sewer line either, but you should be able to connect PVC pipe to it with Fernco couplings or no-hub couplings.
Fernco couplings are neoprene rubber sleeves with large stainless steel clamps. No-hub (aka Mission) couplings are neoprene rubber-lined stainless steel sleeves with torqued ss clamps. Either should be to code there.
Good luck!
Mike

Old 10-29-04, 01:24 PM
Measure the outside diameter of the "cardboard pipe" to make sure what size coupling you buy. Compare with PVC fitting to make sure it will work. PLEASE post back with the results. Pictures would be great....gotta see this pipe.

Old 10-29-04, 01:55 PM
Bengalfan420
Visiting Guest
I will have to take a picture of this. I have section of pipe I just took out that is solid roots through the pipe. I was playing around with the pipe a little bit it seems to be firm and can hold me standing on it, but if I stomp it it crushes, I can cut it with a butter knive.

Old 10-29-04, 02:35 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I sounds to me like he is referring to "Orangeburg Pipe". A commonly used product back then. More info here:

http://www.sewerhistory.org/articles...orangeburg.htm

Old 10-29-04, 05:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Rainbird nailed it.
I've heard of, but have never seen, "Orangeburg" pipe.
Replace ALL of that stuff. The ONLY solution to galvanized supply pipes and Orangeburg drain pipes is total replacement.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 10-30-04, 12:07 PM
Bengalfan420
Visiting Guest
Question What Should I use to Replace Sewer Line?

I got all that orangeburg pipe dug up to where it connects to the street and is metal again. Is the PVC pipe they sell at home depot ok to use as a replacement? Also the line takes a 30 degree or so angle then another angle at the metal. Do I need to measure the angle and get a specific piece, or can you make adjustments to fit the angle on the spot? Thanks for all help guys! I can not afford to pay someone do to this so I have to do it myself. Any help is great.

Old 10-30-04, 12:08 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
PVC is fine to use, yes make adjustments where needed.

Old 10-30-04, 12:38 PM
Should be able to get 45 degree fittings and perhaps even 22-1/2 degree fittings there. Just make sure they are drainage fittings.

Old 11-01-04, 07:57 AM
Bengalfan420
Visiting Guest
Do I need to use glue to attach the pipe at the 45 and at the street? If so what kind? Thanks!

Old 11-01-04, 09:00 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Of course you do. Anytime you put fittings in pipe in PVC, you have to securely bond those fittings together.

Where you buy the pipe and fittings will have the glue, read the sticker on the numerous cans and determine which one suits your piping that you are using.

Anytime you are going from dissimilar materials, use the method of fernco rubber couplings that are code approved, saddles when installing into main sewers approved by the city, and the like.

Backfill with sand, not dirt around new piping.....or you will submit new piping to undo pressure which will cause sloping problems.

Old 11-01-04, 10:24 AM
Wink

Just info :First we had the vitrified sewer pipe and you put cement in the hubs or also called the bells. Then for a time they went to a rubber like ring on the male end.Just slip them in the bells.I have seen vitrified pipe that is over 100 years old. When you wash it up its just like the day it was made.Then they went to the orangeburg pipe .Rolled up felt
with a tar like in it.You just tapped them together in a coupling is all. Then thanks to PVC we have it made, We hope

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: