Repipe?

Old 11-01-04, 11:04 AM
H
hth
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Repipe?

My house is settled down so it needs underpinned. When the guys removed the slab they broke both hot and cold water copper pipes into the bathrooms. A plumber was called and he replaced the damaged portion with new copper pipe but he said I must think of replacing the pipe for whole house since it doesn't look right. First the pipe is too close to the slab, just right beneath the slab, separated by a piece of thin plastic. Second the code doesn't allowed many joints under the slab. So I called some plumbers for a quote. Prices are different. A plumber said he'd use the best pipe, type L with blue letters imprinted on the pipe, not the ones at HomeDepot with red letters on the pipe. He told me to repipe over the ceiling as in new houses, with a thing called something-hammer to reduce the noise made by running water. Here are my questions:

1. How far at least the pipe must be from the slab?
2. How many types of copper pipes? Where can I info about them?
3. What is the name of the thing to reduce the noise of running water in the ceiling? Any site of manufacturer on the web?
4. If no joints allowed for underslab pipes then I have no choice but repipe?

I live in Anaheim, CA.

Thanks.

Old 11-01-04, 11:39 AM
H
hth
water hammer!

after poested the Q's I found info about water hammer. However it isn't the cause for noise when water running in the ceiling. What would be it?
thx.

Old 11-01-04, 12:06 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Water hammer is caused when water slams in pipes and causes noise. A water hammer arrester gives the water an airspace to buffer the water and eliminate the hammer. They sell ready made ones or many plumbers just extend the piping for water up past the fixture (sink, tub,etc) 8 or 10 inches, put a cap on the end of the pipe and it does the same thing.
I don't know your code there for pipes under the slab but most I have worked on had at least 6" of sand between the pipe and slab bottom.
3 types of copper for most residential work K L and M. They get thicker walled as the letter goes up.
Water hammer arrestor click on link below
http://www.bobvila.com/wwwboard/messages/23618.html
Should not have joints under slab. Most slab houses are run with soft copper tubing under the slab and all joints are made above the slab. Good luck.

Old 11-01-04, 02:46 PM
H
hth
So cold ... hot water?

Thanks for your reply. I narrowed my google search then found more info about the copper types. One more question: the water heater is far from the bathroom so it takes a while to get hot water coming out of the faucet. The plumber mentioned something I could install to have the hot water faster. I forgot it's name. Can yoy give me bit?
Thx.

Old 11-01-04, 04:21 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
He may have been talking about a recirculating pump. It keeps the water moving to all the fixtures instead of you having to wait for hot water to travel the long distance. If it was the kitchen faucet I would have guessed he meant an instant hot water dispenser that keeps water hot under the sink and has it's own faucet. Surprized your plumber isn't going with a plastic pipe such as PEX or PVC. Good luck with your project.

Old 11-01-04, 04:33 PM
H
hth
pump

Thanks. It is the pump that I would use for the bathrooms.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: