underground natural gas line

Old 11-04-04, 08:05 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
underground natural gas line

Hello. I need to replace an underground gas line that runs from the meter in the back of my house to my shop, about 75 feet away. The previous owner used flexible water line, which I severed digging with a shovel. What is the best material to use and what size pipe do I need to run a 130,000 btu furnace?

Old 11-04-04, 08:13 AM
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,860
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You could probably simply repart the line. While not legal in my area I believe you can use flexible copper for gas lines also. You will need to use flare connections to fix the break.
Old 11-04-04, 11:31 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
I am not too sure about the original line, it is black plastic water line. It's very easy to break, as I did, with a shovel. Flexible copper tubing sounds better, any idea of what size I should use?
Old 11-04-04, 02:10 PM
Plumber2000's Avatar
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Posts: 5,696
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Black plastic water line for gas, my advise to you is to seek local help, if you don't have a clue about type of pipe and size for a gas line, don't mess with it.
Old 11-04-04, 05:29 PM
Sharp Advice's Avatar
Admin Emeritus
Join Date: Feb 1998
Location: The Shake and Bake State USA
Posts: 9,927
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: Midwestlaker

Water plastic line is not the correct material for underground gaslines. Code in your area is likely to be PCV pipe. Not PVC but PCV (Poly Chloride Vinyl) which is used by the pros but not as easy to install. Requires special glue adhesive and heat fusing.

Next best for pipe would be "Green" pipe. Special protactive coating to prevent rust and corrosion. Not as easy to install either. Special tools required, sealant grease on joints and fittings and than rapped.

If you struch the line with a shovel, either the line was too shallow or you where digging to deep. Depth of gas lines must be to code. Code may be 2 or 3 feet deep in you area. Or some depth like that. Inquire at the sity office and install per code or have a professional licensed gas piping plumber do the work.

Line size over that run length would be about 1 & 1/4 inch to the next to that last end fitting in the structure. Pipe size is one factor, distance and btu draw anothers. Number of elbows also needs to be factored in. Line also needs isolation valve at the gas source and shut off valve on the end where the appliance will connect to pipe.

Gas companies (some) also have specifications how additionally added gas lines are installed at their equipment that was not original to the structures houseline. Changes the original permit on file.

Same applies to homeowners insurance if not already on the policy gas line added and addtional appliances added in structure not attached to original structure, etc.

Gas meter may need to be upsized also to carry the additional BTU draw load. A lot more to know and adhere to than simply burying a line.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: