Air Gap=Drain Water Everywhere

Old 11-04-04, 10:50 AM
jerstew100
Visiting Guest
Angry Air Gap=Drain Water Everywhere

I recently remodeled my kitchen, and during the process I relocated my dishwasher. The gentleman at the local Home Depot told me that I needed to install this Air Gap, per local building codes. So I did. And when I ran the dishwasher for the first time, all of the drain water came out and went all over the counter tops? I checked the installation instructions, and I believe that I have it installed correctly. The dishwasher never had an air gap before. So, what is the problem?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-04, 11:04 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can't really tell you what the problem is but I have always just ran the discharge line over the top of the next cabinet. All you are trying to do is prevent water from being sucked out of the DW while it is running. Or if it is tied into a disposal, keeping food particles from going to the DW. Good luck.

Old 11-04-04, 01:00 PM
Do you have a garbage disposal? If so, has it been replaced as part of your remodel? Disposals have a connection on the side for a dishwasher drain, but it is normally blocked off (in case you don't have a dishwasher) and you have to knock out a plastic piece to use it.

Old 11-05-04, 01:11 AM
Also, if you reworked your drain piping underneath your kitchen sink, check to see if your end outlet or center waste tee wasn't turned upside down.

The majority of those are directional, and I have seen DIY'rs reverse the directions of them and cause the problems you are having.

Knock-out plugs being left in is common for this, along with the discharge line hooked to the wrong tube on the Air Gap.