Hot water entering cold tank

Old 11-11-04, 12:44 PM
SpainLover
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Hot water entering cold tank

The cold tank was overflowing. I changed the diaphragm valve, but the tank still overflowed. I then noticed that water was entering the cold water tank from the hot tank feed! The water in the cold tank was tepid and not cold! Time to call in the plumber!

The plumber noticed that even when nothing was running, the water meter was still going round. You could actually hear water flowing at the main. He diagnosed a leak in a pipe! Any leak has to be underground, because there is no wet patches in the house. I am not convinced that there is a leak. I think the flow could be something to do with the warm water in the cold water tank. The plumber checked that the ventpipe from the hot water tank wasn't blocked.

I have an indirect boiler system (viz. separate small tank is supplying water to heating system).

Can anyone please give me an idea why warm water should be flowing back into the system? I am baffled.

(I don't know how old the hot water tank is and I am in a very hard water area) Nothing has yet been done and I have to keep turning the mains tap on and off! I have the feeling that the plumber didn't understand what was happening either!

Many thanks
David

Old 11-11-04, 01:02 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Boiler ??? Home hot water tank. Plumber said you had a leak and didnt find it?????

ED

Old 11-12-04, 08:29 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I am with Ed, and not sure what type of system we are trying to fix. BUT, I am sure that if the water meter is going round and round, you are putting water somewhere.........leak...........hot water tank..........boiler........?????

We obviously need some additional information.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: