Problem Draining a line to Sweat

Old 11-21-04, 07:29 AM
T
Tao
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Problem Draining a line to Sweat

I am trying to drain a hot water line in on the second floor so I can sweat a end cap on it. I'm redoing the shower. The problem is I can't figure how to drain it. There is no water shutoff for the hot water coming out of the water heater. Actually there is only one shutoff between the water heater and the point I am going to cap. It is in the basement immediately before the line goes up to the second floor. The cold water I used the shutoff that is at the water heater and then opened the cloths washer line and the upstairs shutoff and drained it out the cloths washer line. Finally the question. Do I have to completely drain the waterheater to drain the water out of the line going upstairs since I can't independently shutoff the hot water independently of the shutoff going upstairs?

Sorry for the confusing question. If you need clairfication please ask. Thanks.

Old 11-21-04, 07:48 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The water heater should not have to be drained but I would turn it off.Open up the faucet on the line you want to cap, go downstairs and open a hot water faucet.This should drain the hot water lines from upstairs.
Good luck and post back.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: