Copper to PVC/CPVC

Old 11-28-04, 11:43 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Copper to PVC/CPVC

Everything is going good in the new basement bathroom. Now time for plumbing. I would prefer to do the PVC but have copper now. I am not good at Copper. Do they make a fitting (Copper to PVC) so that I can just sweat two spots and then do PVC the rest of the way??? Also, should I go off of a 1" pipe or 1/2" pipe??? Thanks for all your help.

Old 11-28-04, 11:54 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Use CPCV not PVC.

There is a fitting that you can use for the transition between the two types of pipe, first sweat on the female adapter on the copper pipe, now with a fitting called a cpvc x male brass adapter screw this into the copper fitting, your then all set to run cvpc pipping.

Start at the 1" and depending on how many fixtures you are plumbing to depends on when you decrease to sizes 3/4" and 1/2" sizes, rule of thumb, no more then 2 fixtures on one 1/2" line.

Old 11-28-04, 11:57 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Glad to see everything is going well.
If this is not in a wall you can use fittings to change from copper to PVC.
Sweat on a female iron pipe adapter and use a male iron pipe PVC adapter.The term Iron Pipe is used to denote Threaded Adapter, it can be any material.
CPVC MUST be used for HOT water lines. PVC can be used for cold.

You need to run 1/2 to each fixture, this can be reduced to 3/8 AFTER the shutoff valve.

Make sure you do not place any threaded connections in a confined space(wall or floor)

Good luck with your project and post back with any further questions you may have.

Old 11-28-04, 12:00 PM
PVC is not rated for hot water, most codes do not allow pvc in building, if your code says different then by all means do as you so see fit.

Old 11-28-04, 03:23 PM
M
Thumbs up Thanks!!!

You guys make projects like this easy!!! Thanks for your responses!!!!!

Old 11-29-04, 07:14 AM
T
Keep in mind that in some areas of the country you have to use copper... PVC or CPVC or PEX is not allowed.

Old 12-02-04, 03:36 PM
Kray
Visiting Guest
Just an amateur speaking here, but on the matter of making the transition from copper pipe to CPVC, my local plumbing supply store recommended a fitting that does not require any sweating at all. The connection to the copper pipe is made with a compression fitting, which transitions to a female (unthreaded) CPVC fitting. Glued the first length of CPVC here, then took off with the rest of the CPVC run. It's too late for me (did this project about a year ago), but I am curious if the experts think this is an acceptable transition method, or was a bad idea.

Old 12-02-04, 04:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
As long as it is in the open and easily accessible (NOT installed inside a wall or floor), a compression fitting is perfectly fine in most places for transitioning from copper to cpvc.
Mike

Old 12-03-04, 11:39 AM
GaryS
Visiting Guest
pardon me Kray, do you mind if I ask where you got that fitting? I have been looking for exactly what you described. Assuming I understood you... one end is compression for the copper. The other end is slip for cpvc (to solvent weld the cpvc)? I got two mediocre fittings from Lowes to make the transition and it is a temporary solution until I can find the fitting you spoke of. Maybe that store would ship me 2 of them I don't want to sweat the fittings because i've never sweated copper before and the fittings I'm sweating are to a water softener. If I mess up then I know it will cost $$$ to replace those copper pieces.

Old 12-03-04, 01:18 PM
Wink

GaryS

Do you have a Johnstone supply there ?They have the compression for copper to Mpt .Then get a cpvc coupling,
cpvc or just pvc to Fpt.

ED

Old 12-03-04, 02:15 PM
Kray
Visiting Guest
GaryS,

I think you have correctly understood the fittings I was describing. I bought them at General Plumbing, Walnut Creek, California (San Francisco Bay Area).

Also, perhap easier for you, I think you might find the fittings online from "Keith Specialty Store": http://www.keithspecialty.com/cpvc.htm Their parts list seems to include this type of fitting in several sizes.

Hope that helps.

Old 12-03-04, 08:19 PM
This is the fitting I was talking about. This will screw into the female copper fitting.

cpvc x male brass adapter

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: