Noisy Pipes/High Pitched Sound

Old 11-29-04, 07:33 PM
Baseball Bernie
Visiting Guest
Noisy Pipes/High Pitched Sound

I'm getting a high pitched whinning sound from my pipes any time any faucet is on.

Someone at work told me to turn on all the faucets in the house at the same time and let it run for a few minutes. I tried it with no results.

I read other posts on noisy pipes and read responses about water pressure being to high. Don't know anything about how to determine water pressure percentages. All I know is next to the main water supply cutoff valve is a valve to ajust the water pressure.

Thanks,

Old 11-29-04, 07:35 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Buy a water pressure gage that connects to outside hose bib, this will tell you the pressure.

Old 11-29-04, 10:28 PM
A
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Adjust the pressure reducing valve to get the water pressure down to the 60 - 80 psi range.

Old 11-30-04, 06:31 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
You will need the gage to adjust the pressure with, check gage when making adjustments, turn right to increase and left to decrease the pressure.

Old 11-30-04, 07:16 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Check the pressure as others have suggested. A simple gauge is available at any hardware or box store for under $10.

Another possibility: even if your regulator is putting out the correct pressure, it sometimes does cause squealing noises due to worn parts. It can be hard to isolate the sound, since it radiates throughout the piping. But unless it is related to only one specific faucet in the house, suspect the PRV.

Old 12-02-04, 09:01 AM
Baseball Bernie
Visiting Guest
Gauge

Thanks Guys, I'll pick up the gauge on Sunday or Monday and give it a try. Is there any danger in delaying, like a water leak or pipes busting? And do I understand right the gauge hooks up to my outside water hose faucet?

Old 12-02-04, 09:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Yes, this type of water pressure gauge just screws onto a standard hose bibb.
Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: