Water pressure booster pump.

Old 12-09-04, 04:32 PM
jcartaxo
Visiting Guest
Water pressure booster pump.

I have city water, copper pipes and low water pressure. I saw a water pressure booster pump at Home Depot (Pressure-Mate) and I am thinking of trying it.

Has anyone had any experience with these types of pumps? Do you think it will help?

Thanks.

Old 12-09-04, 04:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
A. What is the public water street pressure?
B. Do you have galvanized pipes?
You shouldn't need a booster pump with normal public water pressure.
Mike

Old 12-09-04, 08:18 PM
Location: langley, in sunny fraser valley, bc , near vancouver
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
There is often a pressure reducer where the city water enters houses. It is a bell shaped device connected on top of the entry pipe. They are generally adjustable by a nut on top of the bell.

Old 12-09-04, 10:32 PM
A
I am with nomind. If you have city water, copper pipes, just turn the adjusting nut an top of the pressure reducing valve, clockwise to increase your water pressure. If you need help, hit the reply button to post back.

Last edited by arkayassoc; 12-09-04 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Annette
Old 12-11-04, 12:06 PM
jcartaxo
Visiting Guest
In response to Mike, I don't know what the public water street pressure is. Is there an easy way to find out?

The main coming through my foundation wall apears to be galvanized for about 15" to 20" to the main shutoff valve and the water meter. All the rest of the piping is copper, most of which I put in a few years ago.

As for a pressure reducer, I checked and there doesn't appear to be one. The only things on the line are a shutoff valve and the water meter.

Old 12-11-04, 12:32 PM
You can call the public water provider and they should be able to give you the water pressure at your meter.
Also, any pipe (the galvanized line) to the meter is normally the responsibility of the public water utility, and it sounds like it needs to be replaced (at their expense). Galvanized is notorious for scaling up inside over time, restricting water flow, until it eventually clogs up completely.
You can get an inexpensive water pressure gauge that goes on an outside water hose bibb to determine what your pressure is on your side of the meter. It should be about 50-60 psi.
Good luck!
Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: