Kitchen sink noisy

Old 12-23-04, 12:48 PM
ymasse
Visiting Guest
Question Kitchen sink noisy

Hello,
When we use the kitchen sink we most of the time not to say always hear a gurgling noise as the water goes down the drain. I noticed in the unfinished basement that the pipe from the kitcen sink is connected to the main sewer line just before exiting the house.
I would like to know what can be done to fix that anoyance?

Please advise.
Thanks,
Ydane.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-04, 03:13 PM
There is supposed to be a vent line right behind the trap on the drain at the sink in the wall. What is happening is that the sink drain is trying to pull air to allow drainage and thats what makes the gurgling. It is basically air locked. Good luck.

Old 12-23-04, 08:34 PM
If this is a new house for you, did you get a home inspection before purchase?

Vents are part of most plumbing codes, so this may be a code violation.

We need more data, on when you purchased the house, any home inspections, ets.

Old 12-26-04, 08:54 AM
ymasse
Visiting Guest
Kitchen sink noisy

Thanks for the response. The house was built in 1956 and yes we had it inspected before buying. The inspector didn't think it was a problem. I would like to know what I can do to correct that or if I need to hire a plumber for the job.

Please advise.
Ymasse.

Old 12-26-04, 11:50 AM
If allowed by local code in your area you could install an Air Admittance valve behind the trap under your sink. Problem may be that with the age of your home, the drainline is probably galvanized pipe which makes the job a little tougher. It is still DIY doable. You would have to disconnect the drain from the trap. Unscrew the line going through the wall and then replace with PVC.You would need some PVC pipe the same size as the existing galvanized pipe, a male threaded adapter (for screwing into the pipe in the wall),and a tee to install the new valve. Also glue and cleaner for PVC and teflon pipe tape or pipe dope compound. The male adapter would be glued onto the short piece of pipe going through the wall and then screwed into the pipe in the wall using the pipe tape or dope.. The tee would then be glued just inside the wall on the sink side to the pipe you just installed. The opening on the top of the tee looking upwards. The valve would then be glued to another piece of PVC after measuring to obtain the highest point you can for the valve up under the sink. Glue the valve and pipe you just made up into the tee. Glue another piece of pipe into the tee (only opening left) after making sure how much you need to reconnect the trap.
Below is a link showing one brand of Air Admittance Valve. I believe it also has pictures on installing.

http://www.studor.net/

Good luck and reply back with any further questions.
If these valves are not permitted and your drain is galvanized, I would suggest having a plumber check and possibly install any venting you may need as this will take specialty tools.

Old 12-26-04, 03:46 PM
ymasse
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Kitchen sink noisy

Thanks, I will give it a try. I will check our local building code as well. Apprfeciate the quick feedback.
Ymasse.