Frozen pipes

Old 12-26-04, 01:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Frozen pipes

Hi all - long story short
Purchased a home in need of remodeling/updating.

Bathroom constructed on what was a first floor porch (completely open from floor to ground approx 6 feet).

Windchill 20 below - heat on 65 - pipes & Faucets & all valves frozen solid. Both water lines (hot & cold) and tub trap burst.

Apparently no insulation in walls and the insulation I put in floors over the summer (R19) now ruined.

Okay the solution?

1. I'm rerouting the water lines as they are currently attached to exterior wall.
2. Where they go through wall to cellar - lots of air leakage (cold draft on pipes - not good). I'm thinking I'll "box" and insulate a path through floor so there is no breeze.
3. Enclose the area underneath and hopefully get more pitch on tub lines.
4. Move trap closer to house (or perhaps inside).

Any other suggestions??

Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-04, 08:25 PM
1. Moving the lines off the exterior wall is definitely a good idea.
2. Any air leaks,,,,,,even a 1/8" crack in a block wall can freeze a pipe; use that insulation that is foil back R-19 and comes in rolls that are 40" wide to go around the walls.
3.More pitch will not keep piping from freezing.
4.Leave trap where it is; just insulate or box around it with insulation.

Once you stop the air movement in the area below, a light bulb burning in a closed space provides adequate protection from freezing. A heat lamp is even better.

Old 12-27-04, 08:12 AM
Thanks for info - I'm going to look into the autocirc

I thought changing the pitch on drain line would reduce or eliminate the possibility of standing water. I had insulated areount the trap - I guess not well enough

When you mentioned the foil backed wrap - is that something that goes on under siding or would I still need to throw in 2x6 ?

If I read it correctly its 40 in wide - so I believe it would go directly on sheeting and under siding (saving lots of work....) is that the case?