leaking copper pipe and wet joist???

Old 12-30-04, 03:16 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
leaking copper pipe and wet joist???

i heard running water in the night...checked the crawlspace in the morning...sure enough...copper pipe spewing out water...by the way...it was on the hot water side...it was steamy, wet, and dark in that crawlspace...

it appears it had been leaking less than a week...i don't know though...we just got back into town after visiting relatives for the holidays...

there is green stuff on some of the joists that were wet...i assume that is mold or mildew...any ideas what i need to do get rid of that stuff...

also...should my joist and subfloor be ok...i opened all the vents in the crawlspace since we have above freezing temps right now...

Old 12-30-04, 03:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
First thing to do is to NOT try to file any type of insurance claim on this.
Next, dry everything out. Put a circulating fan under there to help, if you can. Opening up the vents is a good idea.
Once everything is mostly dried out, you can use a garden sprayer with a heavy bleach mix to spray the mold to kill it, and then scrub it off. Let everything dry out again before closing it up.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 12-30-04, 04:15 PM
Wink

Sorry Id go the other way. Close all the vents up dowm there.Dont let that cool air in over the warm ground. You didnt say if poly on the ground or not for sure put it down.If duct work down there open any register you have in the crawl space. This time of the year get a good dehumidifier going right away down there.

my .02 cents
ED

Old 01-01-05, 04:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Ed's right. It depends on where you are. It's going to be 70 here today, but probably not where you are.
Mike

Old 01-01-05, 11:04 AM
temps

it is in the 60s in the day and low 50s in the night...i live in northern alabama...that gives you some geography...

we have had temps in the teens, 20s, and low 30s the last couple of weeks...we are having some warm weather right now...

so...do i leave the vents open or closed...do i still need to do the bleach solution???

any other thoughts...

thanks...michael

Old 01-01-05, 02:26 PM
The bleach is to kill the mold or what ever the green stuff is. I would not leave vents open if the temps go much below freezing. As Ed said, you don't want that cool air coming in over the warm ground.

Old 01-06-05, 08:56 AM
question on what mike said

mike swearingen said "First thing to do is to NOT try to file any type of insurance claim on this."

just curious: why not...i have had 4 estimates on this...they all said it would be in the $2000s...i have kitchen/dining room area that is 32 feet X 12 feet...it is a substantial space covered in linoleum...our deductible is only $500....

the damage that has occurred since i last posted:

my subfloor consists of three layers...3/4 inch 1 x 12s on a angle (bottom), a 3/4 inch particle board/presswood type stuff (middle), followed by a layer of 1/4 inch plywood (top) with linoleum on top...

the presswood layer has swollen enough to raise my washing machine about 1/2 inch higher than my dryer...it has moved my threshhold under my door up enough so i can't close my door without kicking it at the bottom...the floor still has a lot of moisture in it according to a moisture meter (registered in the red)...

does this not warrant a claim???

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: