Under foundation sewer pipes

Old 12-31-04, 05:18 AM
Under foundation sewer pipes

Had a drainage problem in toilet in master bedroom. Had plumber roto rooter thru cleanout at front of house and thru vent pipe on roof. They found resistance in pipe under toilet. Told me that cast iron pipes either had break or twist in pipe, and digging was required. I hired a digger and exposed the entire pipe system: toilet, shower, junction for both and main sewer line. Found no breaks or twisting. Have had them back out to see the system. They tell me that the vent pipe which is PVC is connected to an elbow at the corner of the house slab, and that the connection is embedded in the structural beam. They say that the cast iron pipes are old and have jagged edges inside which interfere with drainage. House is 25 years old One man suggests that all pipes be replaced at cost of about $1,500. Other man asks why I am doing anything, as all the other pipes under the house are the same age and have the same problems. What would you do?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-04, 05:29 AM
If your home is on a slab, you would be looking at a lot more than $1,500 to re-plumb it.
If it's not leaking and functioning O.K., I would let it be until I was forced to do something.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 12-31-04, 06:22 AM
Mike, thanks for a quick response. It is on a slab, and it is not leaking. Drainage was improved by the roto routing, but is still sluggish. My concern is - have already spent sevearl hundred dollars to dig hole. Have a bid of no more than $1500 to replace all exposed pipes in that hole. Do you think that wise? Thanks again, Phil.

Old 12-31-04, 03:12 PM
I would have it all done in PVC, make sure they use grillage around the piping, properly covered before covering the piping back, and make sure that it is done to CODE.

Get an inspection to prove it is done right.

Post pictures of the piping in the hole before and after so that we can see if it was done right.

I will wait here patiently while tendin to my coffee.

Old 12-31-04, 04:51 PM
Please listen to Dunbar Plumber.
Get the proper permits and do it to code.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 01-01-05, 06:30 AM
Thanks guys, very helpful, and I have already talked to the city inspector. They must have a permit, and it will be inspected. But, got comments from another plumber on internet who said cast iron piping should last 40+ years, and unless it is broken or crushed, it does not have jagged edges. He advised me to have the pipes lined with a camera to see any problems. Have heard that costs about $250. Did not opt for it since rooter guy detected restriction in the area we uncovered. Any more comments appreciated.