Sink strainer install

Old 01-01-05, 07:03 AM
Chuck Z
Visiting Guest
Sink strainer install

My son and I are installing a new kitchen sink in his house and for the life of me we can't get the strainer basket installed properly. After several tries, it still leaks at the compound/gasket. Just can't seem to get it tight enough without everything moving around and probably disturbing the putty. Hints on tools? How important is the "paper" gasket? We keep tearing them up in the process. There's got to be a simple correct way to do this.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-05, 07:40 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ChuckZ, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
Clean all mating surfaces in the sink where the strainer will sit. Make a worm out of plumbers putty about a 1/2" in diameter and long enough to go all the way around the depression where the strainer sits. Push the strainer into the hole as close to center as possible and down in as far as you can. From below, put the rubber gasket on and then the paper gasket.(the paper one is only so the nut does not bind on the rubber gasket). Put on the nut and tighten until the strainer barely starts to move. Put the handles from a pair of pliers or channellocks down into the strainer to use as a holdback.(helps if you have two people, one up and one under) A screwdriver can be wedged between the handles for leverage. Tighten the nut and you should have a good seal. If the paper washer breaks, all you have to watch is that the rubber gasket does not start twisting. Clean off the excess plumbers putty from the strainer and finish piping.
Good luck and reply back with any further questions.

Old 01-01-05, 09:45 AM
Make sure you use a top hat washer to connect the tubular PVC drain piping to the strainer basket. Lip the top of that washer with a small amount of teflon thread sealant, prevents leaks.

Old 01-01-05, 10:56 AM
I like using the one called Snap-n-Loc these are by far the easiest to install and no problems getting it sealed the 1st time around.

Image By plumbingmall.com