switching to flex pipe instead of copper

Old 01-01-05, 05:19 PM
rehab
Visiting Guest
switching to flex pipe instead of copper

I'm looking for info on what crimping tool or tools are needed
to use the flexible colored tubing instead of copper for my rehab projects. Also, are there other connectors and fittings I
need to know about? I'm not to sure on what to purchase so any help would be great!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-05, 06:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You need a crimping tool for each size of PEX pipe. If you're going to use them a lot, you can buy them, although they're a bit expensive, or you can rent them.
Good luck!
Mike

Old 01-01-05, 08:42 PM
You only need one crimp tool for pex, will set you back about $100, it will crimp rings 1/2" up to 1"

Old 01-01-05, 09:21 PM
From what I've seen (and PEX isn't legal in most places around here, so that isn't much!), it seems to depend on the BRAND of PEX you are using. Each brand seems to require it's own (same brand) of crimp rings and crimp tools. Some brands seem to require a seperate crimp tool for each size of pipe, where other brands have a system like Ron is talking about -- one crimp tool can work for sizes from 1/2" to 1".

Old 01-02-05, 01:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Location: langley, in sunny fraser valley, bc , near vancouver
Hi Lefty, Ron, Mike and Rehab, -Happy New Year,
- the kind of tool we have here (and I imagine it's fairly universal), has two or three hole sizes in the jaw.. 1/2 , 3/4 , and sometimes 1". All pex that I've seen (a lot) is universal (ie 1/2 is 1/2 wherever) and the tools are also quite adjustable in closure and angle, by means of allen screws. Most of these tools can be used for crimping Poly B also. Adapter fittings are available for joining pex to Poly B or copper. I particularly like Pex as there are literally thousands of fittings to cover every eventuality, and it's so quick to use.

Old 01-02-05, 07:12 AM
The tool I use is this one.

Image Provided by mobile-mart.com

Now this tool will crimp PEX Rings up to 1"

Now there is two types of pex, Wirsbo and RTI, Wirsbo is more of a clear looking pipe, where as RTI is solid color, Wirsbo and RTI has the same ID & OD, this means you can use RTI fitting with Wirsbo Pipe, but you can not use Wirsbo fitting on RTI Pipe.

Wirsbo has there own tool which for there warranty to be in effect they want you to use there tools.

RTI only need the one tool.

Wirsbo Uses two tools, an expansion tool and a ring install tool, this one I don't use.

Old 01-02-05, 09:44 AM
rehab
Visiting Guest
Talking

Thanks everybody!!! Happy New Year!!