sewage ejector venting

Old 01-01-05, 06:05 PM
ChrisG
Visiting Guest
sewage ejector venting

I'm planning to install a sewage ejector in the basement for a shower, toilet and sink. In general, routing the vent pipes will be a challenge. I have a couple of questions:

1. Any issues with running a vent outside the house from the basement, then up the side of the house, through the eaves, through the roof? This will be much easier than running the vent through the interior of the house.

2. Can the vent for the basement fixtures (toilet, shower, etc.) share the vent with the ejector? Or does the ejector required a dedicated vent? I'm hoping to use just one vent stack for everything.

3. Any advice/experience on sewage ejectors? I'm looking at the LittleGiant 9S-SMPX series.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-05, 07:44 PM
Deacated vent out the roof, 2" min, check codes in your area on where and how it needs to be vented.

Old 01-01-05, 08:08 PM
ChrisG
Visiting Guest
Seems kinda strange that the vent stack can't be shared. Any idea why that's the case?

Old 01-01-05, 08:51 PM
1. The volume of air from the atmosphere that is needed in a rapid draw-down and
2. They do not want a clog to cause drainage from another fixture inadvertently going into the sewage ejector pit on a higher level that normally wouldn't enter the system.

Avoiding overload and cycling of waste matter through the system if it has no way to remove the contents.

Sounds confusing but it is important that it is separate through the roof.

Old 01-01-05, 08:52 PM
You cannot run PVC outside of a home.

Old 01-02-05, 06:21 AM
Check code in your area, here PCV DWV can be used outside.

Old 01-02-05, 09:04 AM
ChrisG
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the info.

One more question, can I tie the sewage injector vent into an existing vent in the attic just before an existing vent exits the roof? Or is "dedicated vent" strictly interpreted as all the way through the roof.

Old 01-02-05, 09:36 AM
When I get back from running service calls today I will post a image of a sewage ejector system in Ky.

Old 01-02-05, 09:47 AM
Here it can not connect to any other existing vents.

Old 01-02-05, 05:15 PM
ChrisG
Visiting Guest
one last question in this thread...

since the toilet, sink and shower all will share the same drain line to the sump, is it a good idea to install (not sure what the right name is) a check valve in the shower drain? so evaporation of water in the shower trap or a backup will not flow into the lowest escape point, the shower?

Old 01-02-05, 06:41 PM
Not required...........especially if the shower is used enough to where the trap reservoir stays plentiful.

Couldn't find a diagram that shows VTR in my code book; the masters test I took though had that on there with individual VTR.

Residential is 2"
Commercial is 3"

Must increase to 3" on 2" residential 18" before entering roof line.