pvc into steel fitting

Old 01-02-05, 10:03 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
pvc into steel fitting

I have a leak in the white pvc drain pipe (looks like it's been repaired before) fitting. It is a male pvc threaded into a steel (rusted) "Y", then I guess glued to a stretch of 3' plastic then goes on up into the house from the crawl . Am I asking for trouble in trying to break this loose? I was told it shouldn't really be frozen together cuz one is plastic. Any reply would br great. Thanx

Old 01-03-05, 07:33 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If it's leaking at the galvanized threaded connection, you can cut the PVC and wrap 2-3 flat wraps of new teflon tape on the male threads of the PVC fitting clockwise only as the threaded end faces you, and then re-join the PVC pipe with a PVC coupling using PVC primer and PVC glue.
I would also smear a little clear silicone caulk on the corroded metal threads before screwing the teflon-taped PVC back into it. Clean the metal female threads with a small wire brush first if you can.
Should seal it. There's no real pressure on a drain pipe.
Good luck!
Mike

Old 01-04-05, 05:59 AM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info Mike...a closer look finds the leak is not coming from the threaded part but the spot where the next pipe is glued into the other end of that fitting. It looks as tho it has been gooped or something before. I'd like to tryin fix it before the oncoming snowfall..it's no fun in an out of the crawl space with snow all around. Thanks again for any input.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: