Toilet and tub sharing a drain

Old 01-05-05, 07:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toilet and tub sharing a drain

I have an upstairs room being converted to a bathroom with toilet, tub, and lavatory. The 3" waste stack will come up from the first floor, serve the bathroom then reduce to 2" and continue on up as a vent stack.

The toilet sits in front of the stack (actually I'd like to move it about 6" to one side but can live with it in front). The lavatory is along the same wall as the toilet. The tub is along the opposite wall with its drain opposite the toilet and in the same joist space (the joists go across the room). I have opened up the floor along this joist space. This is a 100 year old house so the floor joists are 7" by 2-1/4" hardwood. Questions:

1. Must the toilet and tub run individually to separate sanitary tees in the vertical drain? Or can I run 3" drain across the room from the stack to the tub, with a sanitary tee inline with its outlet vertical to serve the toilet?

2. If I ran the toilet and tub to separate sanitary tees in the stack, the toilet being the larger fixture must be the bottom tee?

If it's any help, the tub will be vented close to its trap with 2" that runs up, across the ceiling and ties in to the main vent stack. The lavatory will be back vented in a similar fashion.

To summarize (because I probably explained it badly), I see three options:
(a) The toilet discharges through a closet bend, into a 3" san T in the waste stack. Immediately below this is another san T (or wye?) with a 2" branch that runs across the room to the tub.
(b) There is just one 3" san T in the stack, taking a 3" drain to a 3" san T below the toilet, and continuing across the room to a reducer and 2" trap for the tub.
(c) There is a 3" san T with a 2" side branch in the stack. The san T runs to a closet bend for the WC. The side branch connects through an elbow to a 2" drain that goes across the room to the tub.

Apologies if these are dumb questions. I've read "Plumbing a House" and Code Check and don't see the confiiguration I want.

Thanks
Andy

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-05, 08:36 PM
You mean like this for sample a?

Image By Plumber2000

Old 01-05-05, 09:33 PM
Yes, that would be option A, although here the WC is the top junction. If I go this way, the vertical spacing between the two junctions exceeds my floor depth so the bottom junction would have to be a combo or wye...or does this rule it out. I can have limited protrusion into the room below as I've built a bulkhead about 1 ft square around the new stack.

Old 01-06-05, 04:35 PM
The problem I see here is you need to vent the tub before it connects to the main stack.

How are you going to accomplish this?