Two Piping Question


Old 01-05-05, 09:37 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 114
Two Piping Question

How do you determine what type of copper pipe to use K, L, M? I understand all have the same O.D. and that it is the I.D. and wall thickness that changes between the types.

Second question, when is is appropriate to tape pipe with the 10 mil PVC tape?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-05, 12:37 PM
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 150
Not a plumber, but K is the thickest, followed by L, and then M (the thinnest)

K is generally used underground.

M is the cheapest so is used for most general purpose in-house supply work.

I think L is generally used in commercial work. I prefer using L in my DYI work in the house as I like the increased wall thickness and strength.

Don't know about the PVC tape.
Old 01-06-05, 04:32 PM
Plumber2000's Avatar
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Posts: 5,841
Mil tape can be used when you need to protect the pipe when passing through concrete.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes