Vent Stack Leaking

Old 01-14-05, 06:42 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Vent Stack Leaking

Hello,

I am renovating my bathroom and have the studs exposed to replace the wall. I recently noticed during a rain that the plastic vent stack pipe is leaking from one of the pipe joints. It does not appear to be leaking from around the flashing at the roof because further up the pipe it is dry, so I am assuming it is coming from inside the pipe. The pipe itself is pretty inaccessible short of tearing out drywall and the floor upstairs. I am wondering if there is anything I can do to keep the rain from entering the stack?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-05, 07:10 AM
You may be able to get a cap like they put on chimneys that leaves enough room to let the air in (so the vent works properly). The only thing I am thinking is that it may not stop the problem. When you use any of the fixtures (toilet, sinks etc) air is pulled into the vent stack. Since the inside of the house is currently warmer than the outside air, it may be causing condensate inside the pipe so a cap would not prevent the leak from happening.
I know you don't like the the tear-out part of the repair, but that is the only way to correct it. It will reoccur every year and then you will end up with a mold problem also. Sorry. Good luck.

Old 01-14-05, 07:15 AM
Majakdragon,

Thank you for your input. How would I fix it, then, when I do tear out the walls?

Old 01-14-05, 07:25 AM
Hopefully you can see which joint is leaking so tearout will be minimal. I would wipe silicone around the joints that are leaking. Using PVC glue is pretty much useless. It is really odd that a joint would leak with no pressure on it. You may find that it was never glued.
The condensation thing did not hit me until I saw where you live. I was from Toledo originally. Good luck.

Old 01-14-05, 07:35 AM
So, are you thinking that I may be wrong and it could be leaking from the flashing around the pipe? It is possible. I was only able to check a small section above the leak. One note about the condensation: I have had the drywall off for about two weeks, in temperatures all over the place and the only time I saw any water at all was during a rain. Otherwise., it is as dry as a bone. Thanks again for your help.

Old 01-14-05, 07:50 AM
We have covered all the possibilities (I hope) so I guess you have to go from there. Checking the flashing would be my first venture before tearing out drywall. Hope you find it IS the flashing.

Old 01-14-05, 07:52 AM
So do I, I can assure you! Thanks for giving me all the possibilities!