Cleanout Plug Leaks

Old 01-14-05, 08:43 AM
Question Cleanout Plug Leaks

I have a 4" PVC drain pipe running vertical down my basement wall into the floor. A foot above the floor is a threaded cleanout plug that I recently noticed dripping/leaking. I tighted the plug up alittle - no better. I plan on getting a new plug and trying. Any other ideas on how to easily fix?

Also I am planning on finishing my basement with framing,drywall, etc. I have 3 such drain pipes - all with cleanouts. I want to frame in the pipes but I still want access to the cleanouts. Any suggestions on best way to conceal the pipes yet still have access to cleanouts. thanks & great forum...

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-05, 09:08 AM
UPC code says, clean outs shall be above grade and readily accessible, unless under a cover plate, and shall serve the purpose it was intended for, clean outs under a cover plate shall be installed to provide clearance.

Readily accessible can mean, access to it via a cabinet or closet, well you get the picture now.

Section 707.10 UPC Code
As far as concealing them, I would make some type of cover that is removable. Any time you need to use a cleanout it is going to be messy. There will probably be water leakage (nasty water) when opened plus whatever type of equipment that is used to clean out the drainlines. Good luck.

Old 01-17-05, 05:49 AM
Thumbs up

Pipe dope worked out great! - thanks