Need advice - yard line leak (PB pipe)

Old 01-14-05, 01:22 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need advice - yard line leak (PB pipe)

I have established theat the PB yard line (meter to the house) has a leak. The meter keeps spinning after I turn the house valve off.

I have the blue PB line but it's 20 years old so I can't get the class action replacement as explained here - CPRC

Should I get a leak detector to check where the leak is? (about $200)

Should I just fix the leak ( likely where the PB mates to copper 3-4' from the house per the original plumber) ($600)

Replace the PB yard line for $1200 (ack!)

Thanks for your help

Old 01-14-05, 01:35 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
bletzinger, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
If you read your post closely you answered your question. The PB is shot. Replace it ALL to the house. It won't get any better if you patch it. This could be a DIY job. You could also rent a trencher and do the digging and just hire out the piping if you can't or do not want to do that part yourself. Lots of ways to get around that $1200 figure. Then, when it's done....it's done forever. Good luck.

Old 01-14-05, 02:13 PM
B
OK. Thanks for your reply.

Chances are it's the crappy PB pipe to the house but there is also the unlikely possibility that it's a leak in the copper pipe under the house (it's on a slab) which is why I asked about the leak detector. Apparantly they can isolate the leak in the yard or slab down to 18" for about $200.

I called another plumber who does a lot of the PB replacements and he recommended doing the whole line after checking the connections at both ends.

I'm leaking about 20K gallons a month, 30K this past month so I think I better get this done in the next couple of days. City water/sewer is going to give me some kind of break on my bill (50%?)

Hopefully I don't get a sinkhole

Old 01-26-05, 05:18 PM
B
Epilogue

Plumber replaced PB yard line with K grade copper for $1200. No more leak. Lessons learned:

Call city sewer/water they will (somewhat) adjust you bill for the leak and in our case disconnected the meter for a couple of days because the leak was severe.

Get several plumber quotes. The guy we used was able to tunnel for 50' rather than dig a trench which minimized yard damage. Also used better than code (K grade) copper to replace the PB line. Others wanted to trench or use leak detector etc. Get a plumber who does this type of work routinely.

If less than 10 years old - use class action settlement linked above.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: