Removing broken shower head extension pipe from elbow

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-12, 01:08 PM
Would this work to replace the bottom pipe that leads to the shower/tub diverter?
I have a shower tub combo. I have replaced the diverter spigot, and realized the pipe that leads to it produces black water every time the plunger is pushed down. The water coming out of the top shower head is clean.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-12, 02:56 PM
File technique

I was cleaning the shower today only to be horified when turning my shower head resulted in the pipe breaking off leaving the old pipe inside the brass elbow. I had immediate visions of having to tear out tile or wallboard but decided to give the Internet a search. After reading this thread I set sail for the local hardware store. I couldnt find an extractor so opted for the file technique. Worked like a charm the first try. Whoever came up with this is a genius!!!!

Thanks

Old 03-29-13, 02:45 PM
File method

I broke off my shower pipe from the elbow 2 days ago. My fiance' wanted to cut into the wall to repair it. I figured, I better look online and find out how to repair it myself. Yesterday, I went to Home Depot to get the supplies for less than $14. I acted like I had done this before, while my fiance' watched with all his tools.

In less than 2 minutes, I was done repairing my pipe and replacing it with a new extender. Immediately, I used the shower since he was curious about leakage.
None, nada leaks. Thank you so very much for this thread and to anyone wanting to repair there pipe; Please use the file first. The file method is painless and so very quick!

Old 02-09-14, 04:00 PM
This forum saved my Sunday. The Harbor Freight Pipe Nipple Extractor Set (part# 93822) worked very easily. I think the trick is to tap (not pound!) the tool with a hammer a few times to get it to bite into the broken pipe.

Also, it was very reassuring to find out I wasn't the first guy to do this.

Old 12-06-14, 07:18 PM
30 seconds!

I spent about 30 minutes hammering on a pipe extractor I borrowed from my neighbor, no luck. So I checked out this site, picked up a 10-inch flat file from Lowe's, and after a few light taps, completed the extraction in less than 30 seconds! The broken-off piece turned with ease because the original installer used teflon tape. Thanks for the tip!!!

Old 12-07-14, 03:18 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Glad this 9 year old thread was of some help.

Closed Thread