I Hear Water Running Sounds Behind Walls

Old 01-17-05, 08:03 PM
clctcoins
Visiting Guest
I Hear Water Running Sounds Behind Walls

I hear the soft sound of water running behind the walls leading from the hot water heater to the bathroom in one of the bedrooms in my condo. It really wasn't bothering me until my electric bill shot through the roof last month from an average of $80 a month to $170. When I turned off the valve that connects to the water heater, the sound ceased. When I turned off the cold water, the sound stoped. There is no sign of water anywhere in or around my condo, so if there is a leak somewhere, I have no idea where it is draining. This is bizarre.

Any idea of what the problem is or how it could be corrected? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks John

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-05, 11:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Apparently the water heater T&P valve is stuck open and "leaking" into your drain pipe system. Flip the lever back and forth a couple of times to see if that stops it. If it doesn't, replace the valve.

TEMPERATURE & PRESSURE RELIEF VALVE

If replacing the T&P valve doesn't completely correct it, you may need to install an expansion tank on the heater.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 01-18-05, 02:47 AM
If you can see that no water is leaking through this valve, don't fiddle with it as this may cause it to be stuck open...

The heater is in a pan? Really check that pan because heater tanks as a rule leak at the bottom where you can't see, and the pan likely has a drain for hot water to slink away unnoticed.

Old 01-19-05, 03:35 PM
clctcoins
Visiting Guest
Problem Diagnosed

Just wanted to let everyone who read/replied to this post that my problem has been evaluated and diagnosed as a "slab leak", which means that a pipe under the concrete has a hole; causing the hot water to run non-stop. Lucky for me, if that can even apply in this situation, the concrete slap has kept the water outside my home (which means no money from insurance, but that's better than having a wet condo I guess). Now it's drill time. The estimated cost for repair? Six hundred to $800, 4-6 hours labor (I don't drill into concrete), and the cost to build a new counter, which is oh so conveniently located directly above the leak. But hey, at least I got my health !

Thanks again for all the help!

John W.

Old 01-19-05, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the follow-up!