Loud clicking noise in pipes

Old 01-18-05, 03:10 AM
LAL426
Visiting Guest
Loud clicking noise in pipes

Hello:
I live in a newly built house (1 year old) with an oil furnace and hot water baseboard heat. Whenever the heat comes on (which when it is 5 degrees out like today is quite frequently) I can hear a very distinct, and sometimes loud, clicking noise in the pipes. This noise lasts for about 15 seconds and then stops. I do not know much at all about plumbing. It sometimes sounds like someone is dropping a marble or something in the pipes. What is this and is there a way to fix it? Thanks

Old 01-18-05, 10:47 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It could be the electronic ignition on your furnace or it could be the heating duct work expanding slighly as it heats up. Mine do both when I first turn on the heat in the AM.

Old 01-18-05, 11:44 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Sounds like expansion noise. When the heat is called for the hotter water going through the pipes causes them to expand. Could also be one of the pipes rubbing a stud when expanding.

Old 01-18-05, 06:31 PM
LAL426
Visiting Guest
ok - is there anything that can be done to fix this? Thanks

Old 01-19-05, 03:11 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If it is the pipes expanding, not much you can do. If the pipe is rubbing a stud, you MAY be able to find out where and cut a little bigger opening for it to move through. Neither is going to be easy. Sorry.

Old 01-19-05, 08:02 PM
LAL426
Visiting Guest
so is this a common issue with heating systems with hot water baseboard and oil burners? Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: