moving kitchen sink drain

Old 01-20-05, 01:05 PM
sparks n arcs
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
moving kitchen sink drain


My kitchen sink drain is in an inconvienent location. Under the sink I have a P trap connected to a steel or galvanized pipe that is very near horizontal. The horizontal piece is about 20" long and goes out of the sink cabinet and through the back of the adjoining cabinet right into an outside wall. It then connects to an elbow and a straight pipe that goes down through the floor into the basement floor. The old cabinets that are in here now had one of the drawers modified (1/2 as deep as the other drawers) to allow for this drain location. I will be having new cabinets installed in 30days or so and the installer who came out to measure suggested that the drain be relocated. The kitchen sink drains somewhat slow anyway and I believe it is because of this horizontal pipe. What I would like to do to move this drain is to use a PVC Y connector on the drain line in the basement with the rubber ends and large hose clamps then run a new PVC drain line off of the Y connector up through the floor closer to the P trap that is on the sink. Is this the most efficent way of going about this and does anyone forsee this being a problem?

Thank you.
Old 01-20-05, 10:24 PM
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 640
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You need to make sure that you reconnect to the vent. Probably where the line turns to the vertical there is a connection that also leads up to the roof. Rerouting the line as you suggest would probably exclude that. You will end up with another slow drain and bubbling and gurgling. We don't want that. Instead you could replace as much of that steel line as possible with PVC and give the rest of the system with PVC. This would be the perfect time to replace the whole portion of the line that will be behind your new cabinets.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: