Poor Toilet Flushing Power

Old 01-28-05, 09:41 AM
smittymike19
Visiting Guest
Poor Toilet Flushing Power

My toilets all seem to have very weak flushing power. They seem to get clogged all of the time, even when there is not much to be flushed. I am constantly plunging and was wondering if this is a toilet bowl issue (as was told to me by home depot) or a main sewer line clog of some sort. The guy from home depot told me that the pulling power in your toilet is generated by the toilet, not how clean your drain lines are. Im not so sure i believe him. SHould i pay a plumber to come clean my lines or buy new toilet bowls? Tahnks in advance. i should mention that the toilets do not flush slow, the sinks do not drain slow or anything like that, its just that the toilets will not pull with any sort of power.

Old 01-28-05, 10:10 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Like do you have to flush them like 3 times to get everything to go down. First how old are they. I have had with very hard water where the top of the trap in them buildes up and will slow the flush down . If so you have to clean it out with muractic acid. Then on some new toilets if you have a small hole in the side of the flapper get a new one with out that small hole in it on the side. This will let more water run at flush time.

My .02 cents
ED

Old 01-28-05, 10:11 AM
smittymike19, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
There are a few things that determine how well a toilet flushes. Water level: There is a mark in the tank that shows how high the water should be. How long the flapper stays open: If the flapper closes before the majority of the water is out, then it will not flush properly. Holes under the rim: When the water leaves the tank it enters the bowl through holes in the rim. If these get plugged they restrict the flow and the toilet will not fully flush. They can be cleaned out with the use of a small mirror and a coathanger. You can also shut off the water supply under the toilet, flush to remove what water will go out, and then pour a couple cups of vinegar into the flapper hole. Let it sit a while and it makes the holes easier to clean out. Rough finishes: Cheaper toilets are not always smooth coated all the way through the trap area. This roughness causes a drag on solids and reduces full flushes. Lastly is the clogged line or toilet: If the toilet starts to have water raise in the bowl while flushing, there may be something clogged in the toilet or lines. Take a bucket of water and hold it at chest level and pour it quickly into the bowl. If it doesn't hesitate to go down the drain then it is probably not a clog. You may also want to try a product called Drain Care. It is an enzyme cleaner that clings to any clog and eats it. Most drain cleaners go right past a partial clog. It takes overnight and may take more than one application but it does work. About $8 at home centers, Walmart and Ace.
Check these things out and reply back with any further questions or concerns. Good luck.

Old 01-28-05, 10:21 AM
smittymike19
Visiting Guest
holy cow

uh after taht explanation i feel as though a bill may follow. lmao. what great responses. really taht was awesome. you made my day. hopefully i can make these toilets behave so i can stop cursing and plunging.

Old 01-28-05, 10:25 AM
Hope you find that one of these things work for you. I find it easier to give you most of the cures at one time so you don't curse me each time you have to get back online to ask another question. Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: