low water pressure

Old 01-28-05, 03:00 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
low water pressure

A few days ago my water pressure throughout my house dropped substantially. The water department came out and checked at the meter and said it tested fine, that I should check strainers or a regulator if I had one. What exactly does this mean, and does anyone have any idea why this might have happened?
Old 01-28-05, 03:36 PM
majakdragon's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: N.E. Arkansas
Posts: 7,475
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Hi hyarn2000,
Welcome to the DIY Forums.
The regulator is a pressure reducing valve for homes that have very high water pressure coming in from the street. This is usually installed directly after the water meter and can plug up or otherwise malfunction.You may or may not have one. If you are not sure you can ask your neighbors. Usually if one house on the street has one they all have one. These may be able to be taken apart and cleaned or may need to be replaced.

The strainers are areators on the ends of the faucets. They regulary plug up with debris and retard water flow. To remove them, unscrew them from the faucet. they are usually pretty tight and you may need to use a pair of pliers. Use a thin towel or rag to wrap the areator to prevent damage from the pliers.

Good luck and reply back if you have further questions.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: