replacing kitchen drain from p-trap to main waste pipe...

Old 02-03-05, 06:09 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
replacing kitchen drain from p-trap to main waste pipe...

I have a slow drain problem in the kitchen sink. I went down in the basement and noticed an old galvanized, somewhat rigged pipe that attaches to the main waste pipe. I would like to know if I could replace all the galvanized pipe with pvc and use fernco/? couplings to connect the pipes together.

ie. fernco tubular drain pipe connector, fernco qwik elbows (for two bends), and to connect to the main drain, fernco plastic socket coupling (1059 Series)

These fernco products would not need sealer as well, correct?

Thanks for any help,

loshornos

Old 02-03-05, 04:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If it's galvanized or plastic pipe, you can use Fernco couplings. Use no-hub (aka Mission) couplings only on cast iron, however.
If the connections need to remain pretty rigid to help support connecting pipes, I would use no-hubs anyway.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 02-03-05, 07:15 PM
L
difference between no-hub and hub?

What does no-hub mean? If you have two lengths of pvc that come together and you use a no-hub coupling? or a hub coupling? What would be the difference. Thanks for your time and expertise.

Old 02-04-05, 05:18 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
A Fernco coupling is a neoprene (like shoe heel) rubber sleeve that is held on by two large stainless steel hose clamps. They come in different sizes, and can flex a bit.
No-hub (aka Mission) couplings have a stainless steel sleeve over a neoprene sleeve, with torque clamps. They are rigid, stronger, come in different sizes, and are used when connecting cast iron or other drain pipe that you don't want to move.
Both couplings are "to code" for drain pipe in most places.
You can see both types at most any hardware or plumbing supply store.
Mike

Old 02-04-05, 05:51 AM
L
thanks again...

Just wanted to say thank you again for the info. My wife and I just purchased
our first home, a 100 year old farmhouse, and any assistance is gratefully appreciated.

thanks...

Old 02-04-05, 11:48 AM
jhb
Visiting Guest
PVCS to Cast

I just cut out a section of my cast sewer line and put in a section of 3" PVC. I used the fernco to attach the PVC to the cast. Do I really need to concern myself with this other no-hub type coupler?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: