Exterior drainage project help needed

Old 02-05-05, 08:41 AM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exterior drainage project help needed

I am starting to plan my spring drainage project for my yard and need to get some basic info to start.

Here is the basic issue: My house sits in residential suburban neighborhood on a 40x120 lot. My street and the rear of my house are at the base of a gradual hill, where my rear lot line is about 3-4 feet higher than at the street. This provides a good deal of runoff from the properties behind me, although itís not like you can see the water running in streams during even the strongest storms, one of which flooded my basement this summer, hence the project. Compounding the problem is a very compact clay soil, stuff I could make pottery out of! The top foot is nice soil but below that, weíre talking concrete! I have a driveway running the entire length of one side of my house, butting the foundation and sloping away from the house.

But the back of my house, that gets all the hydrostatic pressure, gets water in even the smallest cracks. And the side opposite my driveway has two downspouts and a sump pump outfall.

My plan is to run a drainage line across the back of my house and down the side with the spouts and pump, picking all three up as it drains into the storm sewer under the curb.

My questions are:

1. What type of pipe should I use and what diameter? My thought was 4 inch white pvc with holes on two sides, which would allow it to pick up water from the ground and take it to the street. Iíd lay the pipe in the ground with the holes parallel to the ground. Iíve read about laying it with the holes facing the up and down. With it picking up the spouts and the pump, I figure the slotted black drain tile is out of the question.

2. Obviously I need to get below the frost line (42 inches where I live in Bflo, NY, where we set footers for home additions). But can or should I go deeper? Does that provide more drainage the deeper I go? Iím going to rent a trencher.

I have a plumber to get the permit and tie it into the storm but Iím responsible for everything to the curb. So Iím mapping out my route and materials list now to start getting ready!

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-05, 10:07 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Use the 4" PVC white plastic PVC drain pipe with the holes turned horizontal sloped 1/4" per linear foot toward the main drain line. Lay the pipe in gravel and wrapped in ground fabric or draintile sleeves made out of the same stuff to prevent clogging by mud and silt.
Once you get out of the main drainage area, you can use solid Schedule 40 PVC pipe to carry it the rest of the way to the main drain.
Good Luck!
Mike