Turning one sink into two

Old 02-08-05, 10:22 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Turning one sink into two

I was wondering what plumbing codes say about installing two sinks where one used to stand. Can I just connect the drains from the new sinks into the old drain pipe? Can I split the supply lines after the shut-off valve? I haven't started this project yet, but I wanted to know this stuff before I started ordering new cabinets and countertops. If it's not easy, I'll probably just stick with the one sink setup. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-05, 05:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You should run a separate set of supply lines to both sinks, and yes, you can connect both drains to the old drain pipe.
Good luck!
Mike

Old 02-09-05, 07:31 AM
Does that mean that I should tear into the wall and run new copper pipe, or can I just use Y's to split what is already there?

Old 03-03-05, 06:48 PM
pepierce
Visiting Guest
I'm just new to this online forum. But your question is the same as mine and it showed up on a search. I hope you recieve a reply to your question as I am only weeks away from considering a one into two sink install myself.

Right now I just started a remodel on a small (much used) bathroom.

Thanks..... Paul

Old 03-03-05, 07:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Don't worry about what the codes say, honestly what ever works will do when it comes to water piping. Just make sure whatever you do doesn't cause a flood, other than that there is little to be concerned about.

The only concideration that may be important is how far apart these sinks are going to be from one another. If they are too far then you may run into problems with the drainage.

How far apart are the sinks going to be from one another?

Old 03-04-05, 04:28 AM
Tie into the water lines BEFORE the shutoff valve. Most codes allow two fixtures from a 1/2" waterline. Run the 1/2" to the fixture and then install your new shut-off valves which usually reduce the line to 3/8" for the lines running to the faucet.
You can ignore code if you want to. As long as you are prepared to change the lines back to code should you decide to sell your home later. Any improvements made to a house MUST be updated to current code. Most Home Inspectors would catch this immediately. Good luck.